Friday, April 25, 2014

What is Knowing


Can you ever truly know God or yourself.  I think you can but it won't be complete until heaven. Knowing is relationship not an intellectual ascent of information and facts.  This is why some  use the metaphor of Journey to understand knowing.  Knowing is not having one experience and it is all done. It is a journey that each day you get up and have new experiences that help you to know God and yourself more.  You can't manipulate relationship, you have to experience it with arms open not grasping grabbing or trying to control.  
Knowing God for me started when I began to see that my time with God was not a duty.  It was a relationship.  I feel in love with the spiritual disciplines as a place to experience God as his child.  As I felt safe in God’s love it gave me the courage to understand me.  I began to live with more confidence and accepted my strengths and began to grow my weaknesses.  
What does it mean to know God or know myself?  Knowing in a Biblical sense or relational sense is complicated but simple.  Here is a good working definition for "know" - be aware of through observation, inquiry, or information or have developed a relationship with (someone) through meeting and spending time with them; be familiar or friendly with.


Here is the definition when the Bible uses the term "know"
  • to learn to know, come to know, get a knowledge of perceive, feel
  • to become known
  • to know, understand, perceive, have knowledge of
  • to understand
  • Jewish idiom for sexual intercourse between a man and a woman
  • to become acquainted with, to know


This “knowing” stuff can be intimidating.  It requires risk and vulnerability.  Most things that you truly enjoy or value required some level of risk.  Our biggest regrets are usually around the risks we were unwilling to take.  Where you in the process of “knowing”?  What has worked or not worked for you on the journey?

No comments: