Friday, April 25, 2014

Know Thyself


“If we learn to trust God, the next movement of our soul is to trust ourselves” - Richard Rohr, Everything Belongs

Know Thyself. - Socrates

Observe all men; thy self most. - Benjamin Franklin

"Know thy God: [1 Chronicles 28:9] rather than "Know Thyself" is the categorical imperative of the biblical man. There is no self-understanding without God-understanding. - Abraham Joshua Heschel (1907-1972) The Prophets

An humble knowledge of thyself is a surer way to God than a deep search after learning. — Thomas a Kempis.

“If you are going to live the unexamined life, at least don't inflict it on other people.” - anonymous

I have been fascinated at the connection of Knowing God and knowing myself.  The clearer the picture of and the deeper I enter into a knowledge or experience with God the more I know me.  
I used to think this was just an intellectual pursuit.  If I could just learn enough I would not have to become vulnerable or risk.  I have come to realize that knowing myself is a messy process.  I have gotten myself and others dirty with the struggles of letting go many times.  Learning and understanding yourself is more about letting go than grabbing hold.  
I think you need to learn ways examine or know yourself.  You must also examine and learn ways to know God.  Today I want to look at know yourself.  The attitude is enjoy the journey of discovering and understanding yourself because it is not complete until heaven - it is a process.  
Here are some quick ideas to guide the journey of knowing yourself:
  • It must be done in community. You get a distorted view unless you are walking in community.  You see your reflection in the interaction with others.  It is amazing what you learn as you examine your action and reactions.  Community is a feeling of fellowship with others, as a result of sharing common attitudes, interests, and goals.  You don't find yourself by yourself - you need others.  
  • Read, learn look to the past.  Many others have walked this journey.  Learn from them, they know where the potholes are.  Ask, talk, read and experience what others have done. The fruit of many weary travelers is available to help you find nourishment along the way.  
  • Find a guide.  Look for someone that is further along the path to walk with you for a season.  This could a Spiritual Director, Coach, Counselor, Pastor or a wise friend.
 
This is a small list and such a small start to a big journey.  This is not an exhaustive list.  Many people much wiser than I could create a significant list.  I guess that is why I am writing.  What do you think?  What would you add or take away?  

No comments: