Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Proactive vs Reactive

As a kid I was confused by my Grandfather.  I was convinced that he was the wisest man I knew, (I still am).  I watched as someone would ask him a question and he would pause 5 to 10 seconds before he would answer.  In my child's mind I was wondering “what's wrong? Why does him take so long to answer?”  I could not reconcile his wisdom with how slow I thought he was.  I have come to realize as I have aged he was even smarter than I thought.  His focus in life was always proactive.  I never saw him react to something without processing the importance of what he wanted.  
I think we lose our way many times because we are lost in a reactive cycle.  Events or things happen and we lose the purpose or energy of our direction, we are caught up in the reaction.  

What is Reactive?

Being reactive means that you don't respond, react or address problems until they appear.  Being  “reactive” implies that you don’t have initiative. The events set the agenda. You respond to and react to events.  Each event taking you off balance as you try to scramble and respond.  

What is Proactive?

Being proactive means that you plan ahead and anticipate problems. Proactive anticipates acting in advance to deal with an expected difficulty.  The goal of being proactive is to be in tune with rhythm of the organization or people.  You are moving with them not reacting to them.  Being proactive is one of Stephen Covey’s habits of successful people.  

How can you Cultivate the habit of being Proactive?

This first reaction is to think time or list management will solve the problem, this will frustrate or create more reactivity if you start here.  Start with attitude or mindset of looking ahead.

  • See the reactivity as a symptom instead of a failure.  Don’t demean or belittle yourself.  Pause, focus and see the problems and structure from a distance to get perspective.
  • Develop the attitude of trying to solve problems instead of dwelling on them and getting lost in the negative.  It is hard to find creative solutions if you freeze in the negative self talk.  
  • Look for the systems that need to be changed. Like Looking for ways to automate routine tasks or evaluate your procedures and processes as you use them.
  • Develop an understanding of priorities versus just time management.  Understand and develop priorities, seeing the end goal rather than just reacting to the immediate.  


Learning to change this pattern requires honest feedback and evaluation.  Ask those around you that you trust to give you feedback about how function in this area.   Try to not over think or react.  Don’t be negative but be constructive and look for solutions that will change a pattern.  


Some may need to look for a coach or counselor to help evaluate and find solutions.  Don’t be afraid to ask for help.  How have you done in this area?  What things have you done to change?

No comments: