Monday, May 19, 2014

Change Your Perspective



Forgiveness isn't forgetting your past hurts but it's allowing God's grace to enlarge your future & give you a new perspective - Danny Hesterly (twitter)

Every time God forgives us, God is saying that God's own rules do not matter as much as the relationship that God wants to create with us. - Richard Rohr


I read these two quotes - they toke by breath away.  They are profound.  Forgiveness is at the core of how we are transformed.  First and foremost It restores us to relationship with God.  It changes our perspective and is the first step to helping you see that you are not alone.  I think these are true about the forgiveness of salvation that come from God.  It is also true when we forgive ourselves or others.    

Wounds 

I have learned after walking with people through the hurts of their past and present lives they have change the perspective of their pain.  The wounds they receive will change the way they see the world. They begin to believe lies about God, themselves and the community around them.  


These are lies that we begin to believe when we have been wounded.
  • We don't have value. 
  • We don't belong
  • We are unimportant 
  • Something is not quite "right" about ourselves - something is missing and we can't understand what it is.  
  • We are powerless and helpless to change this perception.  

Forgive

Forgiveness and surrendering to God changes that perspective. Forgiveness is letting go of the need  and desire for revenge and letting go of negative thoughts of bitterness and resentment.  It is accepting that the value God places on you is true.  Giving the wounds to God empowers a new way of seeing yourself, God and the community around you.  It is amazing how the process of forgiving and letting go can affirm freedom and worth. The perception changes to hope.  
This is a one time choice and a process that continues.  Many times over my life I have had to remind myself that I am forgiven and that I have forgiven.  I can point back to a date where I received or gave forgiveness.  That date begins the journey of freedom and a new perspective.  Sometimes I am living completely in that awareness other times I have to remind myself that I am free. 

You belong to God and He loves, wants and enjoys you.

I don't consider this blog post to be an exhaustive look at forgiveness just some random thoughts.  What would you add to the discussion?

"The only person whose opinion counts looks at me and He finds me more valuable than all the jewels in the earth" Tim Keller

No comments: